Thursday 19 March 2015

Higher or Lower

A super simple game I use in class is Higher or Lower. It takes no time to prepare, gets students really engaged in an activity and can be used to practice a wide range of skill sets.
To start with numbers. The is a myriad of numbers you can practice all. Prices, times, dates, weight, height, number of people at a place. The list is endless. If it has a number you can use it.
You can also use it to practice modals of deduction and some simple language chunks that will be useful both in life and when the students goes in for their dreaded Cambridge exam.
I tend to arm my students with the chunks of language they are going to need at the start of the game.

I think it could be....
I don't reckon it's more than....
I can't be sure but....
I'm guessing it's about.....
Well, it's obviously more than.....
You said Claudio was close so it must be around...
It's clearly between ..... and .... so my guess is....

Ok, so the number must be....

Then I draw a simple grid on the board. 2 columns and two rows.

In the title row I put the comparatives necessary for the activity. If I were doing the price of a car one side would read:

More expensive than....   and the other.              Cheaper than....


I'd put a picture of the car up (google images) and I'd get the students to start guessing. Asking each students in turn to provide me with a number.


I'm not sure how your students are with numbers and the different ways in which we use numbers in English but after just 5 classes which have included the height of a mountain, the price of a car, the time of my alarm on my phone, the age of a painting and the number of tourists to visit The Alcazar in Sevilla. I've seen 90% of my students being able to use "Big" numbers with almost consummate ease. It's a fun way of drilling numbers and it gives everyone in class a chance to practice.

Right then. That's it for today. Coming soon some fun musical ideas and post-it notes galore.

Til the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment