Thursday 21 November 2013

Language Grab - Part 3: The Discussion

Have you ever noticed how students tend to repeat themselves whilst doing a speaking activity? I know I do when I'm speaking Spanish. It's logical, right? Go with what you know. Now logic is fine and yes in the real world when you're having a friendly debate with someone in something other than your mother tongue you communication won't be impeded and your point will still be heard.

Sadly, however, if you’re in an exam situation saying I think 15 times won’t wash.  Nor does insisting you are agree.

This activity is designed to get students used to using a wide range of vocabulary on a regular basis so it becomes ingrained when they are in an exam situation and nerves kick in the words don’t disappear in to the mystical wonderland of ‘the other half of your favourite pair of socks’.

What I like to do is make enough copies, of the below worksheet, I usually do them on blue paper for everyone in the class.
 (available at this link as always https://sites.google.com/a/thenglishouse.com/harry/)  
Next every teacher’s favourite past time the ever exciting activity of laminating and cutting so your darling students don’t completely destroy them within 14 nanoseconds of them being placed in front of them. Finally play.

For speaking practice activities I like to get students to turn their card face down and as they start speaking turn each card over and force it into their discussion. The winner is the person who uses the most cards.

I also tend to get my students to do any book work we have to do in pairs so as to prevent wasting any precious class time on silence. When they’re hammering away at an exercise I encourage them to use their grab activity again.

I’ve been using these cards for about 18 months now and I’ve found with all of my students in this time frame their speaking exam technique has improved to a remarkable degree.


I hope you find it as useful as I have. A big thanks has to go out to Dave and Ruth Waters for the initial idea. Cheers guys. If you want to read more of their ideas and about the delights of wine why not click this link http://watersdw30.wordpress.com 

Tomorrow, Language Grab Part 2: The Long Turn




Shall we......?


I'd rather.......


I'd prefer to......


Why don't we......?


Let's move on to the next picture.


That's a great idea.


I'm not sure, but I think…


I don't think that's a very good idea.


I´m afraid I have to disagree.


As far as I’m concerned


How do you feel about that?


I couldn´t dis/agree more


We could.....


We´ll have to agree to disagree.

·         Cut out each phrase and give a set to each student. Ss should try and use as many of the phrases as possible while speaking throughout the class.
·         They’re equally useful when used during specific speaking practice. Shuffle the cards then Ss chose at random. Students must try and use as many cards as possible when forming their answers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment