Saturday 23 November 2013

Language Grab - Speculation

Something I always find amazing is how unwilling students are to speculate. Rather than take a guess at what something might be they tend to say they don't know. Be it a picture in an exam, how people are feeling, an answer to a question or just what they're going to do at the weekend.  I use the below activity in the same way I do with my previous two posts.
Laminate, cut and pass them to your students.

I like to use them to help students describe pictures like the one below.

Ask students how the tree got like that? How long it's been there? Which animals it may have effected?




I can´t be sure but I think…


Obviously


I imagine


Probably/Perhaps….


Without a doubt


I´m pretty sure that


There’s no doubt in my mind that


It’s clearly

I guess

It must be

I don’t really know but if I had to I would choose…….

If I had to hazard a guess

It might be


It could be

To my mind

I reckon

No comments:

Post a Comment