Monday 25 November 2013

Speaking Part Three. What´s in Your Kitchen?

I thought today would be as agood a time as any to share one of my favourite and most successful ideas. I’ve found most books have a unit on food so I use this in conjunction with that unit. I usually do this as a two-three phased activity. First I remind students of the useful kitchen vocab before starting the task.I use either the worksheet below, or at this link https://sites.google.com/a/thenglishouse.com/harry/, or the PowerPoint on the same page. 

This actuvity, with the ppt, improves students timing during part three of the speaking exam, the discussion. It also helps with speculation(use the previous post's language grab to further aid students with speculation). The uses for the pictures are below. Have a guess at each one before you look ahead. 

Phase three of the kitchen discussion involes the students a great deal more. I ask each of them to bring their favoutire kitchen utnesil to class and then give them three minutes to answer the same question as in the activity below. This time with more confidence and a better knowledge of what the kitchen gadgets are actually used for. 


Vocab:  Phase 1



Task: Phase 2 (Works really well with speculation language grab).






1. All Round Avocado Tool. 2. Orange Squeezer. 3. Potato Masher. 4. Knife Sharpener. 5. Strawberry Huller. 6. Salt and Pepper Mill.


Students bring their own utensils: Phase 3.

As always you can follow new updates on twitter. @sirhofthebomb

Until tomorrow and more bright ideas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment