Thursday 19 November 2015

Just another commentator

Whilst teaching in an all boys school I realised I was missing something. How could I get these boys to really go crazy with their English. How could I show them that English really is a beautiful language full of nuance and some unforgettable adjectives.

This idea came to me whilst watching England Vs Spain in a recent Friendly international.Most boys like football, most boys like watching goals. As do a number of girls as well. Let's not be sexist about this.

The Spanish right-back, Mario Gaspar, Scored an absolute scorcher of a scissor kick from the edge of Englad's 18 yard box and all the commentator could come up with was the same as every other goal ever scored in the history of Spanish football the extended Gooooooool. No matter the beauty of the goal or the glory of the build up to it the end result is always met with the same sence of enthusiasm. While every goal counts equally the language used to describe them should, in my humble opinion, reflect the beauty of the goal.

If you look in the links to the right (a few materials) you'll find a vocabulary list of football words. Materials

I've chosen six examples

Maradona. Best goal ever?
Zlatan Vs England
Iniesta Vs The Netherlands
Sir Geoff Hurst Vs Wast Germany
Bergkamp vs Newcastle
King Thierry Vs Man utd

There are thousands of examples you can use. I used these as they were a variety of different styles  of goals and I could watch each one about a million times. Feel free to go crazy and select your own.

I show the students the goals and play them the commentry three or four times. I let them take notes of useful phrases, I give them the vocabulary list attached then I let them work together in pairs to create the perfect commentry.

If you have a class where students aren't interested in football. Perhaps set the final task as a project at home and let other students provide commentry. You can then record them over the video footage and see which pair come up with the best NEW commentary.

This has been a huge hit in recent classes. I hope it works the same for you too.

Enjoy.

@EFLuencyfella

No comments:

Post a Comment