Thursday 26 November 2015

PET Speaking. And I'm not on about your talking puppy.

Those of you who have read, spoken to or listened to me before will know I have a very slight aversion to exams. My feelings on the matter are such that the thought of them often gets me a wee bit agitated. This is mostly because over the past 8 and a half years I've found motivations changing in students and going somewhat from a want to learn to a have to learn. With that it has led many teachers down a road free of imagination and joy. It has turned a huge number of classrooms into exam factories and the fun behind learning has, in many cases, almost disappeared.
This is very much the case in large schools with large classes where teaching is becoming closer to impossible by the day. Sadly, however, it is also the case in a number of classrooms in the private sector as well. Academy classrooms are one of the few places true teaching can still take place. It's for that reason I dedicate a huge amout of my spare time trying to think up ways of making exam practice a little more fun. If you look back over my previous posts you'll see fun is at the heart of my teaching.
This post, however, isn't all that much fun. It's just a quick half an hour class with some very basic hints, tips and useful language to use in the PET exam. I did this presentation at my current school and the rapid advance in the students speaking, well those that paid attention, is clear to see.

I simpy put up the powerpoint. Elicit as many answers as possible. Provide the language and see how the students go. The part two grab activity is a particularly useful one. Just print out the vocab and get students to cut out each phrase. When that's done make them use each phrase as they go through a speaking activity. The pair who use the most win the game. It's a slightly more fun way of drilling.
I've done the same with describing a picture. Each student gets the list of phrases to use and then has to adapt them to their picture.

So as I said a nice quick easy refresher for students getting ready to do the exam. I'd try and do this early on in their learning so they have time to try it a number of times before going into the exam. Sadly, this isn't the best way of learning a language. It is alas a good way to pass an exam.

I always find a smile and some energy gives my students a huge boost as well. especially with drier subjects like this one. Give it a shot.

Just follow this link below and it'll lead you right to the powerpoint and various other delights.
PET Speaking hints and tips

Thanks for reading. I hope it helps your students as much as it's helped mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment