Friday 11 December 2015

A Chic Approach to the Chaos of CH

Pronuncing ch: The sounds ch makes, 3 main groups: 

ch / /, sh /ʃ /, and k /k/


Here's an activity I took from my old man. I've been using it with my Advanced classes this week as I often notice huge mistakes with especially with the greek /k/ sound and the old french sound / /.  
There are various ways to go about this activity. I tend to start them off with one or two words for each of the following sounds  ch / /, sh /ʃ /, and k /k/ and then set them off making their own lists and see if they notice any patterns.
As I mention the sounds ch makes can be split into three main groups: ch / /, sh /ʃ /, and k /k/ (also the Q sound for choir). 
Then I introduce the following set of words. Either on a powerpoint or I  print the word lists in colour, laminate and cut into single words. This can take an awful lot of time so I do sometimes let m students loose with the scissors.

Next place all the words face up on the table and ask students to select and pronounce a word.
After a while the students realise that the colour of the word is a guide to pronunciation (it also helps many students remember the pronunciation).
Variations: Place the words face downwards and ask students to pick a word (against the clock/teams…… ) 
I also print a black and white copy so students can try doing the same activity a few weeks later and see how well they've remembered the groups.










Ch / tʃ/
cheese
chocolate
chips
beach
peach
chop
church
arch
inch
wrench
winch
chalk
chief
approach
choke
research
cheap
search
batch
switch
check

/k/
Christmas
ache
stomach
chaos
mechanic
mechanical
school
scheme
schedule
psychology
chemical
chemist
bronchitis
chronic
architect




Sh  /
chablis
champagne
chic
quiche
fuchsia
machine
chamfer
schedule
chevron
chef
chauffeur
brochure


No comments:

Post a Comment